Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Down again

This is sad. My host has disabled my site again for excessive traffic. It seems I'm having burst traffic and that's what is freaking them out. My real numbers seem to be 70+\- users a day but with page views being anywhere from 1 to 60. So much for me trying to go with a free host believing my site traffic was down. For some reason, it seems to have been suppressed over this last year. I think GoDaddy was blocking my tracking code.

When I made my backup, I found they had deleted some of my files without explanation. Going back through the emails, it seems they warned me of possible viruses on my site but when I would examine the file there would be nothing. For example, they said one of my php files was holding a virus but it was actually just a simple text file without any script text or anything that can be activated. I'm not sure what was going on with the host.

I am currently looking at both Interserver and Hostinger to be my new site. I've contacted both of them to verify their MYSql and PHP versions. The cost is cheaper for Hostinger to get started but long term Interserver will be cheaper. I'm leaning toward Interserver too because their architecture seems to allow for the one CMS system I've been hoping to use as it is part of their "one click install" package. If I go with them, it looks like I'll be able to reconstitute my entire site package into one host.

After checking Google Analytics, my site traffic did increase over 500% since October 18th, when I transferred my domain to the new host. I'm not sure what to think of that or how to read it. I can't think of any reason my site views would have been suppressed with my old host but it is hard to argue with two different traffic monitors.

For now, I am redirecting my domain back to my GoDaddy site. It will go down on 11/4/2019. I have until then to secure a hosting package on another site. Please bear with me during this time. I've never had such frustration over hosting before.

No comments: