Saturday, November 02, 2019

New site is semi-up

Traykon is now hosted at Interserver and will probably be a MediaWiki site. My plan right now is to just convert the site over to MediaWiki using the Pivot (mobile friendly) skin. I'll host the legacy site as well but right now I'm focusing on getting the server up and running.

The reason I am probably going to just be using a MediaWiki site is due to the nature of the information. I've tried out Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, and Tiki CMS, they all have features I don't really need and their interface makes it difficult to highlight my content. Although I have issues with MediaWiki, I'll be using it to host my content since I can edit it on the fly and control how that information is displayed best. Since I have no desire to host a "blog" as my main site, a few of the main CMS options become obsolete as the typical article posting just doesn't work. That doesn't mean I won't be using those systems in the future, it just means I won't be using them now.

Feel free to email me with any suggestions or feedback. Hopefully I'll get this up and running in a timely manner but I have to do a clean install, upload all the extensions, configure the database to work with the new extensions, and then import all the data. I'll admit that importing the data will be the most difficult thing to do simply because of the amount of data I have. There is a hardcoded 2MB file limit in php and my data is more than that. I'll have to decide how best to proceed or if I should edit the php.ini to increase the limit which can cause other issues.

No comments: